What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral and known carcinogen. It was used in a wide range of manufactured goods because of its strength and heat resistance. It was popularly used in building materials before the 1980s. Asbestos containing material means asbestos is present within the sample in an amount greater than or equal to 1%. There are 6 types of asbestos!
Where is asbestos found?
Asbestos could be found in insulations, flooring materials such as linoleums and floor tiles, adhesives, roofing materials, wall and ceiling systems such as joint compounds, popcorn/textured ceiling, and plasters, and many more.
What should I do if asbestos is found in my home?
Asbestos is considered dangerous or harmful when it is airborne. Asbestos fibers can become airborne as a result of damaged/disturbed material such as water damage, aging, and physical impact. It is most hazardous when it is friable, which means it is easily crumbled by hand. If you feel that your home or business might contain asbestos contact us. We will schedule a licensed asbestos inspector to come to your home or business and our trained laboratory analysts will analyze the samples collected. If it is deemed you have asbestos in your home, we will recommend mitigation companies we work closely with to discuss options for the next steps to take.
What is vermiculite?
Vermiculite is considered Asbestos Containing Material (ACM). It can be found in insulations, texture, plaster, and joint compound. Due to common historical contamination, vermiculite is now required to be treated as an asbestiform mineral.
How do you check for lead?
Environmental Health and Safety uses a XRF (X-ray Florescence) machine to screen for lead based paint on-site. We can also collect paint chips, dust wipes, soil, and water samples to determine the percentage of lead and the risk it holds at your property.
Should I be concerned about mold in my home?
Yes, mold spores are tiny which makes it easy for them to travel through the air. In large quantities, airborne mold spores can cause allergic reactions and respiratory issues. Samples are collected via air or swab.